Happy Halloween, Simpsons whizzes! Here it is: The Treehouse of Trivia Quiz. Thirty-one questions, pertaining to the first thirty Treehouse of Horror episodes (alas, TofH XXXI doesn’t air until tomorrow night). Good luck as you test your expertise. I will post the answers to the questions tomorrow, November 1st.
1. Which one of the following characters has never delivered a p.s.a-style warning to viewers about the disturbing nature of the Treehouse content that follows?
E. Professor Frink
2. Match the Treehouse segment with the Twilight Zone episode that it borrows from:
___ “Hungry Are the Damned”
___ “The Genesis Tub”
___ “Clown Without Pity”
___ “I’ve Grown a Costume on Your Face”
___ “Bart’s Nightmare”
___ “Terror at 5 1/2 Feet”
A. “It’s a Good Life”
B. “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet”
C. “The Masks”
D. “The Little People”
E. “To Serve Man”
F. “Living Doll”
3.To date, there have been three black-and-white segments of Treehouse. Name one of them.
4. Fill in the blank: “___________________ make Homer go crazy.”
5. True or False? I Know What You Did Last Summer has never been parodied by a Treehouse segment.
6. Which one of the follow Halloween costumes has Bart never worn during a Treehouse episode?
B. Charlie Brown
C. Eddie Munster
D. Frankenstein’s Monster
G. The Fly
7. Which one of the following Halloween costumes has Homer never worn during a Treehouse episode?
B. Julius Caesar
C. I Dream of Jeannie
D. Herman Munster
E. Dr. Manhattan
F. Headless Man
8. Besides with “The Shinning” segment (TofH V), Stephen King has been invoked on numerous occasions during Treehouse episodes. Cite at least one example. [Earn a bonus point if you can give at least three.]
9. In the closing of the “Homer3” segment (TofH VI), Homer appears in a live-action world, but the humans he walks among remain mute. Who are the only two celebrities ever to deliver lines as their flesh-and-blood selves on a Treehouse episode?
10. The film The Thing with Two Heads has been referenced repeatedly during Treehouse episodes. But which one of the following character pairs has never appeared with their heads grafted together on a single body?
A. Homer and Mr. Burns
B. Dr. Nick and Dr. Hibbard
C. Bart and Lisa
D. Skinner and Chalmers
E. Lisa and Krusty
11.Complete the line. Devil Ned: “But let that ill-gotten donut be _____________.”
12. In the “Send in the Clones” segment (TofH XIII), which character from another animated series appears amidst the herd of Homers?
13. Which one of the following characters has never appeared in a Treehouse episode as a droog from Kubrick’s A Clockwork Orange?
14. True or False? Clips from the first 666 episodes of The Simpsons have been used during the Treehouse of Horror series.
15. Identify one reference to Tim Burton’s work in a Treehouse episode. [Earn a bonus point if you can cite more than one example.]
16. Which one of the following is not a candy that appears in “The Sweets Hereafter” opening of TofH XXVIII?
B. Nelson’s Crunch
C. Marge Bar
D. Peppermint Selma
E. Oh Homer!
F. Kirkish Taffy
G. Lisa’s Pieces
H. Bazooka Moe
I. Senior Mints
17. In the segment “You Gotta Know When to Golem” (TofH XVII), who is the voice of the female golem?
18.The Lard Lad Donuts statue has been incorporated repeatedly into Treehouse episodes. Give one example.
19. Which one of the following songs has never played during a Treehouse episode?
A. Pat Benatar’s “Hell is for Children”
B. Elvis Costello’s “Accidents Will Happen”
C. Bill Haley’s “Rock Around the Clock”
D. Warren Zevon’s “Werewolves of London”
E. Talking Heads’ “Psycho Killer”
F. The Ramones’ “Blitzkrieg Bop”
G. The Eagles’ “New Kid in Town”
20. In the segment “Desperately Xeeking Xena” (TofH X), the Collector (i.e. Comic Book Guy in the role of an archvillain) falls into a vat of molten Lucite. What pose does he deliberately assume before hardening?
21. Which has appeared more times onscreen as the episode title, Treehouse of Horror or The Simpsons Halloween Special?
22. Which one of the following Guillermo del Toro films was not referenced during the (del Toro-directed) opening of TofH XXIV?
A. The Shape of Water
B. Pacific Rim
E. Pan’s Labyrinth
G. The Devil’s Backbone
23. Cite one example of a Treehouse reference to the facehugger or chestbuster from Alien. [Earn a bonus point if you can give an example of each.]
24. True or False? In “Reaper Madness” (TofH XIV), Homer tries to trick God by killing Selma and attaching Marge’s hair to her head.
25. Which one of the following has never been a Treehouse segment title?
A. “Dial D for Diddily”
B. “Dial M for Murder, or Press ‘#’ to Return to Main Menu”
C. “Dial N for Nerder”
D. “Dial Z for Zombies”
26. Cite one couch gag featured at the start of a Treehouse episode.
27. Who does Homer defeat in the Fogburyport Oyster-Eating Contest (TofH XXIX)?
28. Which one of the following is not a Rigellian alien?
D. Serak the Preparer
29. Complete the dialogue (from the inaugural Treehouse of Horror): “‘Tell me, tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutionian shore.’ Quoth the raven, ‘ _______.'”
30. In the segment “BFF RIP!” (ToH XXVII), Lisa has an imaginary friend named Rachel. Who does Homer reveal as his childhood imaginary friend?
31. True or False? The theme music from John Carpenter’s Halloween has never been used during a Treehouse episode.